Games where some players hit a ball (or something similar) with a stick can be found in Ancient Egypt (i.e. over 4000 years ago) and in many other civilizations like Ancient Persia, Ancient Greece, Aztec empire, etc.
The following list contains an example of the hockey-like games in the past 4000 years.
- beikou which was played in China and Mongolia;
- hurling which was played in Ireland;
- shinty which was played in Scotland;
- cammag which was played in Isle of Man;
- field hockey which was played, e.g., in England;
- bandy or sometimes Russian hockey, or banto which was played, e.g., in England. Nowadays, bandy is most popular sport out of the named sports and Federation of International Bandy has 29 members (year 2012).